Scripture does not command or forbid specific methods of burial. However the significance of a funeral is not mere disposal of a body; it reflects the worldview and convictions about dignity and respect due to a body made in the image of God.
What does the bible say about cremation vs burial
These are narrative and descriptive passages, not prescriptive. These are 8 passages in the Bible about people being burned with fire.:
- 1 Samuel 31:12-13: all the valiant men rose and walked all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Beth-shan, and they came to Jabesh and burned them there. They took their bones and buried them under the tamarisk tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.
- 2 Samuel 21:12-14: then David went and took the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from the men of Jabesh-gilead, who had stolen them from the open square of Beth-shan, where the Philistines had hanged them on the day the Philistines struck down Saul in Gilboa. He brought up the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from there, and they gathered the bones of those who had been hanged. They buried the bones of Saul and Jonathan his son in the country of Benjamin in Zela, in the grave of Kish his father; thus they did all that the king commanded, and after that God was moved by prayer for the land.
- Leviticus 20:14: If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst.
- Leviticus 21:9: Also the daughter of any priest, if she profanes herself by harlotry, she profanes her father; she shall be burned with fire.
- Joshua 7:15: It shall be that the one who is taken with the things under the ban shall be burned with fire, he and all that belongs to him, because he has transgressed the covenant of the Lord, and because he has committed a disgraceful thing in Israel.’”
- 2 Kings 23:20: All the priests of the high places who were there he slaughtered on the altars and burned human bones on them; then he returned to Jerusalem.
- 2 Chronicles 16:14: They buried him in his own tomb which he had cut out for himself in the city of David, and they laid him in the resting place which he had filled with spices of various kinds blended by the perfumers’ art; and they made a very great fire for him.
- Jeremiah 34:5: You will die in peace; and as spices were burned for your fathers, the former kings who were before you, so they will burn spices for you; and they will lament for you, “Alas, lord!”’ For I have spoken the word,” declares the Lord.
Can Christians be Cremated?
Sure they can, however it is not normative. The normal method of dealing with the dead body, in scripture and Christian history, is burial.
Is Cremation Unbiblical?
There are some accounts of total destruction of the human body at death, including by fire, both in scripture and in the history of the church.
Is it a sin to be cremated when you die?
The Bible does not say that cremation is a sin.
Burial vs Cremation Christian
The Judaeo-Christian, historical, and reverential manner of treating a dead body is burial.